Notes for Albert Ball WEBER

Was a factory worker;  repaired  the machinery that wove heavy gauge wire cloth
(copper and brass)
Died sometime after 8-46, when Richard Day got out of the Navy
Was a member of the Woodsmen of the World fraternal organization
Memories of Albert Weber in the words of Richard Day:
After my dad (Ralph Day) was laid off from his job in Evanston, IL he sent my
mother and me back to live with her parents (Albert and Pearl Weber), and put
all the furniture in storage.
I lived with my mom and the Weber family from 1932 to 1935, about three years.
The kids in the neighborhood were "rich" kids, and going to their homes was
exciting because they had their own furniture, lots of nice toys, maybe a
radio. One family had a "maid."
Grandpa Weber had a watch fob made out of the a piece of the wire cloth from
the factory where he worked.
The company's name was the W. S. Tyler Company - is still in business, but I
doubt that they still make wire cloth.
He was able to work all during the Depression years.
He had invested in rental houses just before the Depression, so he escaped the
economic hardship.
He bought a house in Cleveland Heights in a good neighborhood.
He was very careful with money. He would write down the hours he worked every
day, and he carried a snap-top coin purse.
He rode the street cars to work and other trips, to church on Sundays.
I would wait for him at the street car stop after work and then watch him
shave with a straight razor when he got home. He was always clean and neat at
dinner after his factory job.
I collected street car transfers that he would save for me - they were
different colors.
He took me to see the ball games (Cleveland Indians) when he had a day off.
I loved riding on the street cars. When they filled in the track space on
Mayfield Road, I spent the summer watching the workmen do it - missed lunch
In the 1910 census, Albert and Pearl were listed as having a non-relative
boarder named Julia Preterio (sp?), age 31, single, born in Ohio, parents both
born in Ohio, and employed as a teacher.
Obituary found in the Licking County Genealogical Society Library obituary
Word was received here Saturday of the death of Albert Weber, 77, in a
Cleveland hospital.
Mr. Weber was a former Newark resident and was employed as a wire weaver. He
leaves his widow, the former Pearl Armstrong of Newark, three daughters and
one son. The family located in Cleveland several years ago.
The funeral and burial will take place Tuesday at 1 p. m. in Cleveland.
Newark City Directories, Licking County Genealogical Society Library, Newark,
1895 - 96  Albert B, wire cloth weaver, r 51 Stanbery
Return to Albert Ball WEBER

Notes for Albert William WEBER

Memories of Albert W. Weber in the words of Richard Day (his nephew):
"Uncle Al was the black sheep in the family. He never lived at home while my
mom and I lived there. He joined the Marine Corps and went to Nicaragua for
the occupation. He was a Master Sargeant and an excellent photographer during
WWII. He was married to a woman named Marian in the early 1930s and they had
two children, but were divorced. I know one of the children was a daughter. He
remarried, but I don't remember his second wife's name. I don't think they had
any children. My cousin Geoff Sorchy looked after Al when he got older because
he was alone and an alcoholic."
Return to Albert William WEBER